Question about GNOME Builder

Hi, ALL,

Could someone please describe how to create a .so project in C++ that will go under the main project?

The documentation at Projects — Builder 41.alpha1 documentation, talks only about project itself…

Thank you.

What you are talking about is GNONE Builder not GTK Builder. There is a difference.

You need to learn meson build system. Once you have learnt meson, you can create a subproject for your .so files. But it is recommended that you don’t do that if your .so files are going to be used by this one project only. Instead you can create a library (.so file) inside your single project and link your executables with it.

Hi,

| mazharhussain
May 22 |

• | - |

What you are talking about is GNONE Builder not GTK Builder. There is a difference.

Yes, I am.
Sorry for confusion.

Thank you.

Hi,

| mazharhussain
May 22 |

• | - |

You need to learn meson build system. Once you have learnt meson, you can create a subproject for your .so files. But it is recommended that you don’t do that if your .so files are going to be used by this one project only. Instead you can create a library (.so file) inside your single project and link your executables with it.

And how do I do that?
Documentation doesn’t talk about that.

Thank you.

Heyaaa!

Maybe you are looking for this?

:blush:

Hi,
No im not.
This talks about adding 3rd party library to the build.
What i need is to add my own library as subproject to the ide.

OT:
The whole point of using IDE is to hide creating makefile and simplify the build/debugging process , not making harder. It is also to hide the details of how the makefiles are created.
If im forced to do that manually (as the referenced piece implies) i will never need an ide. It just defeats the purpose.
/OT.

Thank you

If the library is meant to be provided by the OS you should add your library as a dependency in meson. If the library is not meant to be distributed by itself is better to do it as a subproject in meson files.

It’s better to learn the basics of meson than fighting the whole Gnome Builde IDE concept.

Hi,
The library will be part of my project.
Now as said - why do I need to do it by hand, when I have an IDE? What is the purpose of an IDE then?

I was actually thinking to move to Builder, but now I think I will stick with Anjuta where everything is straightforward.
And of course it is real IDE - meaning you create a project and subprojects and it will generate everything for you without you interfering. And of course it will hide stuff from you that you don’t want to know.

And now I know that Builder is not an IDE, but some kind of half-baked tool to help with code editing (no project creation, no building and no debugging).

Thank you.

P.S.: For references look at MSVC and Xcode. All you do there is create a solution/project, then create DLL subproject or dylib subproject, add the source code, build and run.

You as a developer don’t care about makefile generation or how it builds/run, Everything is hidden.

Ah, I get it. Would this be more appropriate to be a feature request? You can open up an issue on the Git repository and see how the developers respond.

If you would like to invest in making GNOME Builder great for you and everyone, there is an Extensions API that allows you to extend parts where Builder still misses!

Feel free to brew the code and share it with everyone else, or even send a Merge Request to the Git repository to be included in the standard release! :blush:

Hi,
So, if i understand you correctly, creation of the subproject that builds so library is not supported/implemented (yet).

Now this make sense.

Thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.