OSK (On Screen Keyboard) Issues as a disabled person

Dear Sir or Madam,

as a disabled person, I got to admit that I am really struggling with your current On Screen Keyboard which will force me to look for an alternative software if it won’t be adressed in the near future.

A few of the problems I have to face:

• the layout of the OSK kind of resembles a smartphone keyboard and not a compact keyboard or full size keyboard
  • I can’t change the layout
  • direction keys for the cursor are missing
  • no backspace key, only a delete button
  • special keys are missing (e.g ctrl/fn/alt)

I have been a glad and pleased user of Your software but since programms like “onBoard” are no longer supported with new updates I can’t help myselfe to look for alternative programms which I would rather evade.

Considering the things above I would be genuinely pleased and thankful if You could help me with my issue.

Best regards

2 Likes

I’ve had this same need now that I’ve been playing with Gnome on a touchscreen. Check out https://github.com/nick-shmyrev/improved-osk-gnome-ext

1 Like

Hi LTS,

FTR the extension pointed out above is available at extensions.gnome.org: Improved OSK - GNOME Shell Extensions

The primary goal of the OSK is enhancing input of human language, It is not designed to be an exact representation of a full blown keyboard, and specifically tries to avoid its cultural baggage (e.g. keycombos).

There is a “terminal” input hint that relevant applications use today and would be nice to support eventually, but it has been stalled on lack of design mockups.

Cheers,
Carlos

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.