Option to "visualize" xWayland apps

Is this doable as an extension or an option into gnome settings to have all xwayland apps a special red warning border decoration to visually see all the old apps still using x11?

i know i can check with tools like: xlsclients if there is anything running via xwayland. But having a daily reminder of a “alert” framed app, might remind me into migrating to a wayland native app.

If someone could tell me, adding a pixel border around the decoration is possible via extention, that would be a good reason to have a look into gnome extention development.

Hello, I have not seen an extension for that, but one could be created simply by checking if a new window is MetaWindowActorX11 or MetaWindowActorWayland. The border drawing effect could also be borrowed from the shell looking glass code in js/ui/lookingGlass.js.

1 Like

The tricky bit is that window actors contain elements like invisible borders and shadows. That is, they are larger than what we think of as “the window”:

Screenshot of window corner with red border around it at a significant offset

The offset can vary between apps, for example GTK3, GTK4 and libadwaita all have different window shadows.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.