Hey there. I realize you are receiving lots of feedback, so I don’t expect a direct answer, I am just posting here to provide more feedback and hopefully help the project achieve a better outcome.
Here is how I use GNOME Shell:
- Ubuntu 20.04 with v3.36.4.
- Two monitors with dynamic workspaces enabled only on the primary one.
- Left dock disabled for more screen space and fewer distractions.
- Using “Top Panel Workspace Scroll” extension for fast switching workspaces with the mouse wheel on the top bar (I also use the keyboard shortcut, but this is a great extension because I don’t need to open the overview or move one hand away from the mouse when using it to switch workspaces).
- Impatience extension enabled for faster animations.
- Overview screen accessed both via keyboard and hot corner when switching windows with the mouse.
- Extension enabled for switching windows only in the current screen/workspace.
So the major points for me on this change seem to be:
- I usually cycle through my workspaces without using the overview but I still use the mini workspace switcher on the overview screen. In the new design, it seems it is only available when opening the app grid, which doesn’t make much sense.
- I may have used the app grid 3 times in the last 2 years since the search is so much faster.
- I also rarely use the overview dock on the left, but when I do it is great that it is next to the hot corner.
What worries me is that this new workflow could be slower because these changes seem to be aimed at making the Shell more appealing to a larger audience. Hopefully, I am wrong, or at least the same agility will still be possible with some more extensions.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the great work!