More details for gtk2 -> gtk3 migration

Current state: The migration help site on gnome.org seems to be
Migrating from GTK+ 2.x to GTK+ 3: GTK+ 3 Reference Manual

Problems: There is a large amount of missing information on that site, which makes migration really painful.

Suggestion:

1. Provide more detailed information; I.e. which old calls become which new calls; which old widgets become which new widgets.
  2. Turn the site into an editable wiki, so users can easily contribute.

This question needs to be more explanatory. Which problems are you actually facing?

GTK3 was released 10 years ago. If people haven’t ported their GTK2 code to GTK3 in the meantime it’s entirely unlikely they’ll do so now.

GTK2 was also end-of-lifed in December 2020, with the release of GTK 4.0; improving the migration guide to GTK3 is kind of pointless, given that there won’t be any new release.

First of all, users don’t contribute to wikis. We have a wiki, and it’s mostly a source of spam (to the point that we need an additional access list to avoid it) or outdated information.

Additionally, the GTK documentation is part of the GTK repository: docs/reference/gtk/migrating-2to3.xml · gtk-3-24 · GNOME / gtk · GitLab

If you wish to contribute, you can create a merge request on GitLab.

@ebassi

GTK3 was released 10 years ago.

Indeed. Though, I’d like to point out, that Ubuntu dropped source support for these packages only about 6 months (max 12 months) ago.

And on the other hand one could say, that maybe because there wasn’t a comprehensive guide within the last 10 years, many apps didn’t get ported…

improving the migration guide to GTK3 is kind of pointless, given that there won’t be any new release.

If you wish to contribute, you can create a merge request on GitLab.

I don’t expect anyone to contribute, but me. If I know I can contribute on gitlab, I will do so. I was just worried, that noone would ever accept any merge request (like in the case of libgnomeui).

@MichiB

Which problems are you actually facing?

Tons, which were documented nowhere and I had to figure out myself. Each problem taking 1 minutes if you know the answer, but > 2 hours, if you have no clue. Therefore this question.

Thank you for your input.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.