Meld preferences and odt file

Meld 3.20.0
gnome 3.30.2
Debian 10 stable
I installed meld, but it doesn’t give me the meld menu and consequently the preferences to be able to set it.
I tried to start it with sudo but it gives errors.
Gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen GTK_IS_SCREEN failed.
Line 364 setup_resource.
Gtk.IconTheme.get_default().append_search_path(icon_dir)
AttributeError NoneType no attribute ‘append_search_path’
do i need to install a particular package ??
Sudo apt-get install -f
It’s ok.
On the server, with xfce and meld 3.20.0 I see the preferences menu.
What should I do to view the meld menu -> preferences?

I tried to compare the odt files and see them in binary is there a filter to be able to view them at the text level?
i know it’s a proprietary format and i don’t know how sensible this question is …
Thanks

Hi Graziano Giacobazzi,

I tried to start it with sudo but it gives errors.

Please, don’t try to run random applications using sudo. That won’t usually help you, and can cause various problems to your files.

I tried to compare the odt files […] i know it’s a proprietary format

The odt format is not at all proprietary, it’s quite the opposite in fact. It’s a format completely described, free to use, and implemented mainly in LibreOffice, a free office suite.

i know it’s a proprietary format and i don’t know how sensible this question is …

Questioning about how to handle a proprietary format is rarely a problem. :smiley: And in the worst case, you can be explained why.

I installed meld, but it doesn’t give me the meld menu and consequently the preferences to be able to set it.

So, there has been some changes here on how we do things in the time, so things can work in different ways. During a time, the application menu was displayed in the GNOME Shell top bar, when you clicked on the application name. Now, normally, it is automatically transformed as a button in the headerbar of the window. Meld also have a fallback as an old-style menubar.

If for one reason on another, you cannot find any of these menus… would you accept to install the flatpaked version? Install the flatpak package and run flatpak install --user flathub org.gnome.meld for installing. Here at least, the version is using a menubar. Other things could be done, else.

I tried to compare the odt files and see them in binary is there a filter to be able to view them at the text level?

As already stated, the odt format is completely described. In fact, it’s just a zip file! (Well, I don’t remember exactly which compression format is used, but anyway.) So you can open it using file-roller or whatever archiver you usually use, extract its content, and then compare the XML files (mainly) that were inside.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.