Maintainership of GNOME Settings

Please let’s not turn this thread into a feature request thread

1 Like

sorry about that i thought i is a maintainership so someone from network can implement and it is the easiest way to ask and show. whatever will i delete that comment. let me know

1 Like

The point of this thread is to make it clear that panels like the Network, Wi-Fi, and a bunch of others, are currently effectively unmaintained. We need someone fluent in network-icisms to maintain these panels. So even if this was a feature requests thread, there would be nobody to request to! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

i understand thanks…

1 Like

Is it possible to unify the phosh-mobile-settings app and the Gnome settings app? Or can one of these apps work for both Gnome and Phosh with some minimal changes? This way the task of maintaining the settings app will become easier because then we will hit two birds with one stone.

1 Like

None of the Phosh developers have approached us about that, and given their good history of contributions to GNOME, I trust they didn’t because they believe it’s not a good fit for Settings. I don’t think adding more settings to Settings would make maintainership any easier.

1 Like

So this will be a stretch out of my comfort zone, but if I am interested in helping sadiq with the Network panel efforts that critically need help, how do I move forward to see if I’d be a good fit?

Thanks for posting this. It hit social media, I have long benefited from Linux distros with and without GNOME, and it is time to give back. Looking forward to pitching in however I can.

4 Likes

Thank you @xee5ch, this is great to hear. I’ll be happy to try and onboard you on the best of my capacities. I think the best way to approach these panels is:

• Skim through the list of open issues opened against networking panels
  • The issues labeled with “Help Wanted” and / or “Newcomers” are good candidates to start
  • If there is any issue in particular that you can reproduce, it’s a good candidate too - reproducible issues are much easier to fix

Once you pick 1~3 issues to look at, you can start working on them. I encourage you to join the GNOME Settings channel and share your picks with us. We’ll then help you figure out which part of the codebase is that, and set you up for a fix.

If you happen to spot any issue which is not reproducible anymore, or is invalid due to design changes, leave a comment and we’ll close it. Triaging these issues is a relatively easy way to contribute too :slight_smile:

Hope that’s enough for you to start, let me know if you have any questions!

5 Likes

Sorry for the delayed reply. I will start taking a look and getting set up to engage. Thanks to you and others who take the time to nudge us noobs along. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will try to help, I first started looking at Keyboard panel issues, and sent some MR’s:
!1649
!1650
!1648

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.