Is there any way to save horizontal space in the Evolution mail folder sidebar?

I am running Evolution 3.40.3 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Since I like the vertical view with Message Preview next to the Message List, horizontal space is at a premium for me. I have thought about turning off the sidebar with the folder list, but it is pretty convenient to have it up there.

Is there a way to reduce the indentation of each successive level of folders and/or eliminate or shrink the marginally useful folder icons and/or shrink the little triangles that show whether a folder with subfolders is expanded or not? Thanks for any advice to help me save horizontal space in this folder sidebar.

Changing the Switcher appearance , icons and triangles depend on your desktop theme and not on Evolution itself, indentation depends on the GTK tree and not Evolution itself.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The switcher is not a problem for me. But I gather from your response that the triangles and the folder icons on each row depend on the desktop theme. That’s good to know, but doesn’t necessarily quite help with knowing how I might shrink them – do you happen to know of any good pointers on how to customize a desktop theme in this way? I gather I could create a variant theme and then start just Evolution with the modified theme, leaving my other windows alone.

The thing that would really help most would be to reduce the indentation. You say that’s a result of the GTK tree. Do you have any knowledge or pointers conerning whether such aspects of the tree’s display are runtime-configurable, and if so, how one would go about it? I am aware of .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css but I haven’t been able to find any style parameters that would seem to affect this, and moreover, I can’t tell if there are CSS classes or IDs specific to Evolution so that my adjustments won’t affect other applications. Thanks for any suggestions or guidance you might be able to offer.

I can’t tell if there are CSS classes or IDs specific to Evolution so that my adjustments won’t affect other applications

There aren’t and there should not be, as that would defeat the purpose of having applications look and feel consistent.

OK, whether or not I agree with it, I understand that point of view. And I do very much appreciate your taking time to respond here, since you’re much more knowledgeable than I am on such matters. So, I wonder again: Do you have any knowledge or pointers concerning whether aspects of a GTK Tree’s display (such as the amount it indents children) are runtime-configurable, and if so, how one would go about it? I would very likely be just fine with much less indentation across all applications; in any case, if it’s possible I’d like to try it. Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

I don’t know about GTK, sorry. Might be worth a separate question thread here.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.