How to see logs from prefs.js?

It is not clear for me how to see logs from prefs.js on newer GNOME versions. A few releases ago I could launch gnome-shell-extension-prefs prefs uuid in the terminal and I could see all logs from prefs.js.
Now that command suggests to run gnome-extensions prefs uuid and returns immediately. The suggested command just returns and shows no useful information.
Older guides from the internet say that journalctl -f -o cat /usr/bin/gnome-shell-extension-prefs is the way to go, but I don’t see anything…

Where does that precious output end up on newer GNOME versions?

Correct, that command has been superseded by the Extensions app and the gnome-extensions CLI tool. We now install a small shell script under that name for compatibility, which calls the replacements.

Mmh, it’s expected to also open the requested prefs dialog. Are you running it in a GNOME session?

Where does that precious output end up on newer GNOME versions?

Still in the journal, but the process that launches the dialog is now a small D-Bus service implemented in javascript, so it shows up under gjs rather than a distinct executable name.

1 Like

Sorry, I worded it badly. Yes, the preferences dialog does open, just the terminal remains silent.

Thank you very much, I was able to get the log with journalctl -o cat -f /usr/bin/gjs. :pray: :100:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.