How to hide nautilus or gnome-files sidebar

There would probably be less people trying to bargain if:

• said design decision and the “solid rationale” you keep mentionning were well documented
  • the behaviour was consistent (my second screenshot shows it’s not).

So instead of rejecting outright anybody trying to be constructive and pointing out flaws, can you please provide a link to the designs and the “solid rationale”, so we can understand what problems were raised and actually fix the situation?

Alexandre, if I had such a link, I would have provided it earlier. That would have been simpler to me and nicer to everyone here, so it would have been the obvious course of action for me, were it possible.

Quoting myself

I agree it would be ideal to have a documentation of every design decision. Even designers sometimes have a hard time recalling the decision processes from a while ago

So, no disagreement on what would be ideal.

Except reality disagrees. There aren’t enough designers. They document a lot of things. But it doesn’t scale to every single thing.

The past 20 years have taught me that it’s just not true: people will constantly try to renegotiate design decisions, regardless of rationale, because they believe their intuition, experience, or time is more important than anybody else’s.

The design team should document their decisions, but mainly to avoid going around in circles after two years; it just doesn’t work as a way to preempt discussion.

3 Likes