How can I help fixing an issue with pygobject

Basically I wrote a gedit plugin (gedit-terminal-enhanced), but found out that the functionality I need the most can’t work since calling libvte’s event_check_regex_simple from a python script always results in a segfault.

After debugging it, I figured out that the bug actually resides in pygobject, and I reported the issue on GitLab (see
Then I managed to fix it for me and submitted that initial fix as a Merge Request (see issue above).

I’m not sure that I got this right, but the thing is… I got no response there for over 5 months, while others did.

Have I done something wrong? That MR is probably far from complete as I don’t know how to test it, however the lack of feedback makes me unable to proceed and improve my contribution.

I’m still willing to help with this issue since I use that plugin a lot, but more importantly, this bug makes the plugin unusable for others. Is there anything I could do now?

BTW: I have a similar story with a GTK issue, but I’m not capable of fixing that one by myself

From looking at the contributor graph, it looks like it’s mostly one maintainer active (@creiter). It’s a pretty common for maintainers to get overwhelmed and either forget about older MRs or just prioritize more critical issues.

Usually the best thing to do here, is CC @someone in an issue and gently remind them an MR is ready for review or in need of some guidance. If that project has an IRC channel (irc://, you might also find someone there to help.

Thanks for the suggestion @andyholmes, I’ll try doing that.

I suspect the delay is because this issue looks like a bit of can of worms. I suspect there is an introspection issue, which I’ve noted in the issue you raised. In one respect, it looks like the C function in question is not introspectable. In another respect, it looks like there is a GObject Introspection issue with using an array size parameter for both (in) and (out) array arguments.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.