Having Nautilus hide SFTP resources?

Is is possible to have Nautilus NOT show SFTP devices?

I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 x64.

When I browse ‘other locations’ in Nautilus it’s showing me a bunch of strange devices. With names starting with “dp-” and then digits. I used ‘avahi-browse -avr’ and that revealed them to be SFTP services running on amazon echo devices.

> =   eth0 IPv4 dp-6x4x0xWX                                   SSH Remote Terminal  local
>    hostname = [dp-6x4x0xWX.local]
>    address = [192.168.xx.39]
>    port = [22]
>    txt = []
> =   eth0 IPv4 dp-6x4x0xWX [00:00:00:00:00:00]               Workstation          local
>    port = [9]
>    txt = []
> =   eth0 IPv4 dp-6x4x0xWX                                   SFTP File Transfer   local
>    port = [22]

I don’t want/need to browse into these. I don’t have anything on the wire that’s providing sftp that I need to see via Nautilus.

Is is possible to configure Nautilus to ignore and not show these? Even if it means ignoring ALL sftp resources?

1 Like

Isn’t possible to disable this directly in the Amazon Echo devices? There isn’t such an option currently in Natuilus/GVfs, only thing you can do is to move all of these avahi locations under the extra folder using the gsettings set org.gnome.system.dns_sd display-local separate. You can also try to check avahi-daemon.conf, whether there is not somthing which can be used for this purpose…

1 Like

As I mentioned, there no option to restrict the publishing from the device end.

The example I offered is but one of several devices, and not just limited to Echo devices. Various things publish via mDNS, and it would seem unreasonable to have to cripple each and every one of them just to have the Nautilus client stop showing them (and get hung up for several seconds should anyone accidentally click on them).

The gsettings option looks useful, thanks! If just to allow separating the display of them. That works, at least as a stop-gap measure.

It’d still be interesting to know if it’s possible to filter or otherwise block what’s shown inside Nautilus in a more fine-grained manner.

Well tbh this sounds like an Echo bug, you don’t have to offer sftp and it doesn’t make much sense for Echo to offer sftp

Of course this observation doesn’t help you much

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.