Gtk4 Icon in GtkHeaderbar is still very tiny

Is there already some progress for issue Gtk4 Icon in GtkHeaderbar is very tiny for 27 inch 4k display?

As my 27-inch display died, I have now a 32-inch 4k monitor, which is indeed much better for a Gnome desktop. The mouse pointer and scrollbars are OK by default, and with text scaling of 150%, all is mostly fine. So I launched my old sdt tool again, after a long period of inactivity. Unfortunately, the icons are still tiny, it is nearly impossible to see what it is.

This is my code:

var builder = newBuilderFromString(useNewDelMenuData)
    var menuModel: gio.MenuModel = builder.getMenuModel("menuModel2")
    var menu = newPopoverMenu(menuModel)
    let menuButton = newMenuButton()
    menuButton.setIconName("applications-graphics")
    menuButton.setPopover(menu)

And this is the icon:

locate applications-graphics
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/categories/applications-graphics-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/legacy/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/categories/applications-graphics-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/legacy/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast/16x16/categories/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast/22x22/categories/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast/24x24/categories/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast/256x256/categories/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast/32x32/categories/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast/48x48/categories/applications-graphics.png
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast/scalable/categories/applications-graphics.svg

My feeling is, that the /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/categories/applications-graphics-symbolic.symbolic.png is used. There is no way to select others, see Gtk.MenuButton.set_icon_name. And the icon is black&white now, I think it had colors in the past.

I think the tiny icons are not related to my own (wrong) program code. I launched a few Gnome tools like Gnome Text Editor and Evolution mail program, and both have also these tiny icons in the header bar. And I launched Gnome-Icon-browser, to verify that most Icons have lost their colors, and are black & white now. And I think that only pixel-perfect 16 and 32-pixel icons exist. As 32 pixels is already too large, the 16-pixel variant is used. So no bug. I think the best solution is to use only icons with fewer details. But generally, I wonder why all the Unicode font symbols scale fine, but icons can not scale.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.