GTK4 and libhandy usage

Relevant initiative: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives/-/issues/16

1 Like

You just told me that it looks exactly like a regular GtkHeaderBar in your previous post…

So… is this some form of gaslighting?

I’m going to bow out of this thread now since it seems only some people are discussing in good faith.

@tbernard

Thanks for the clarification.

Seems to me you’re confusing headerbars with view switchers. The former looks exactly the same in libhandy, but allows some extra things such as hiding the headerbar, while the latter looks different because it has icons.

1 Like

HdyHeaderBar and HdyViewSwitcher are different widgets.
GtkHeaderBar and HdyHeaderBar look exactly same.
HdyViewSwitcher can be used with GtkHeaderBar or HdyHeaderBar and would look exactly the same way.

On your screenshot System Monitor uses GtkStackSwitcher and the other one uses HdyViewSwitcher.

But sure, it’s a form of gaslighting. 🤷️

Is that really a distinction that your users are expected to make?

Or should they simply expect all their windows to look and function similarly?

For clarity, this is an empty GtkHeaderBar

And this is HdyHeaderBar

(admittedly I resized the window differently)

1 Like

To clarify, it allows it to remain draggable inside the window, where it can be hidden etc. Technically you can also hide GtkHeaderBar like that, but it won’t work as a titlebar.

As one of the designers have already said they will have consistent view switchers eventually (where a view switcher is appropriate) but some apps haven’t been updated yet

This is a change in the HIG, handy is simply a handy implementation detail

2 Likes

Thank you for this reply, I did not expect this thread to blow up like this.

So in short, libhandy code in Geary is not going to be replaced by GTK4 code since libhandy provides solutions that are not possible/hacky/very hard to do in GTK4.

Which is unfortunate news for me hehe, but also good to know!

So in short, libhandy code in Geary is not going to be replaced by GTK4 code since libhandy provides solutions that are not possible/hacky/very hard to do in GTK4.

It provides widgets that are not in scope of GTK 4 but are in scope of GNOME design. Its just that before libhandy most widgets where copied over from app to app anyway.

5 Likes

Ah alright thank you for the clarification.

I think I know what @Dies mentions.

I think his main problem is that before the use of libhandy, all gnome applications had all buttons in their Header Bars. Buttons left and right in the header bar and also in the middle. All these buttons had the same design.
But know with HdyViewSwitcher many application have now in the middle of the header bar other buttons as on the sides. The buttons with HdyViewSwitcher are from top to bottom in the header bar.

I that right? @Dies

But libhandy has much more widgets. Most of them are not directly visible, only if you squeeze a window. Like in the Settings app.

Full:

Half:

This is done entirely by libhandy.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.