GNOME moves away from GIMPnet on Nov 25 15:00 UTC

I’m fine with #gtk getting the same moderation as the other Gnome channels, but it’d be nice if we got the same ps as we have on Gimpnet, so we can quickly do whatever from IRC.

Shouldn’t it be #gnome-files instead?

I would prefer to have for the same reason as gtk the #vala room without the preceding gnome- . But everything else like moderation is fine. I dont think there exists already a channel on libera.chat, so it would need to be created.

Would that be possible to set up?

Ah wait, you’re talking about the Matrix room, not the IRC channel? If yes, #fedora-desktop on Matrix already routes people to #fedora-workstation (purely from the Matrix perspective)

I’m happy to rename both on Matrix and IRC if you want me to :slight_smile:

The IRC side also ought to redirect to the #fedora-workstation channel. The goal of establishing the redirect was to avoid a split community. It’s surprising to learn that did not happen as intended.

It is technically not possible to redirect IRC users from GIMPnet to Libera Chat. Off the top of my head the former #fedora-desktop IRC channel was muted, but I couldn’t say for sure. The #fedora-desktop matrix room indeed redirects matrix users to #fedora-desktop, which is bridged on Libera Chat.

Anyway let’s not hijack the topic :slight_smile:

Can you clarify what will happen for a room like #i18n? For someone who’s in from the Matrix side, it seems there won’t be a change. What about someone currently joining from GIMPnet? I’m not talking about what they would have to do ideally (leaving and then joining from Libera Chat), but what will happen for those who won’t do anything. That room (and I suspect many others are in a similar case) has many IRC users who are idling, and who most likely won’t read the announcement here.

Yes, this part refers to IRC channels on GIMPnet:

Let me know if something in particular is confusing here and I’ll be happy to expand.

Not confusing, I just missed it in the mass of information. Thanks for pointing it out.

I fear this will just be missed by most users. As I said, idling is the norm on IRC. Is something like a server notice planned (not channel specific, but maybe a message with a link to this page)?

Is the GNOME Community Matrix Place actively maintained? If so it would be nice to route everyone to that to make the onboarding as smooth as possible. From a quick look it’s missing, for example, #gnome-hackers and a few other channels.

I’m going to have to postpone the migration to ensure it happens smoothly. As Alexandre suggested, there will be a server notice on the gimpnet side.

@swick yes the community space is maintained. What channels are missing, except hackers (which is not in that space on purpose, same as it was a hidden channel on IRC)?

Only didn’t find #gnome-hackers so I thought something was off but you’re saying it’s on purpose. It took me a while to figure out how to join the channel even though I knew it exists…

Can you please update the original post to reflect that?

I came back from being away today, trying to figure out why what should have been migrated IRC channels on Libera Chat only had a couple of users in them. A date in the title would also be useful.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes very fair, doing. IRC users on GIMPnet will receive a server notice on IRC directly to inform them the migration will happen tomorrow Nov 25 at 15:00 UTC

2 Likes

@thibaultamartin I’ve created #libsoup:gnome.org, can you publish it in the gnome directory, and migrate #libsoup on GIMPNet.

I have two issues:

• There is #shotwell:gnome.org which does not seem to be bridged anywhere, but a #shotwell already exists in libera.chat, I tried to register that to me ages ago but somehow failed for reasons I do not remember
  • #gimpnet#gupnp:gnome.org only exists in that form and comes from the #gupnp IRC channel - what am I supposed to do with that? (also there is no #gnome-gupnp on libera)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.