GNOME Foundation relationship with GNU and the FSF

While justified in this case by a recorded pattern of behaviours we can agree are unacceptable, I have to point out that de-platforming certainly can be bullying. Yes, leaders should be held accountable, and some things from other areas of their lives can certainly affect the impact of their work vs our shared goals. No, we cannot deny that de-platforming is often used as a tactic to silence people with whom we might disagree - it just historically goes in the other direction.

We should speak the truth to power, but we should also speak the truth about Stallman in this case. It doesn’t excuse previous behaviours, but he most certainly did not say this, as has been pointed out. I agree with the rest of the post, but this was a factual error. Can you please edit or revise this statement from up-thread?

1 Like

Neil’s message to the FSF on behalf of the GNOME Foundation has also been discussed in other fora, but Discourse is a far more competent platform for doing so, so I am re-posting my comment here.

Neil speaks with the support of the GNOME Foundation board and received dozens of thanks from the GNOME community for adopting this position on behalf of the project.

We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive community, and a pre-requisite to that is calling out and distancing ourselves from people who are unable to conduct themselves without alienating, threatening and excluding others.

Fundamentally there are two things going on here; one is the internal tensions of the free software community and our individual culpability in allowing Richard Stallman’s previous contributions and achievements to excuse his conduct. There are so many examples of this, but Sage Sharp has assembled a reasonable collection on Twitter.

Secondly are his hurtful and ill-conceived comments which were widely (and poorly) reported and brought a great deal of external attention to the free software movement.

The reason they connect is because everyone realised; this is what the world sees of us when RMS speaks on our behalf. And this is why we must act. Deb Nicholson wrote it very well in a mail to libreplanet-discuss.

I don’t think a situation where many people associate the free software
movement with misogyny and pedophilia is doing the movement any favors. And
that’s where we are. I do feel emotionally about this because it is a huge
waste of my time to try and bring new people to this movement and then
later have to apologize for the ton of unchecked sexism that happens in
many of our spaces and mailing lists.

I’m done with allowing one person’s pedantic compulsions and gaping blind
spots around how tech treats women continue to hamper the work of
empowering users. It’s time to separate the sexism and — the erasure of
victims of pedophilia — from the free software movement. I won’t be
encouraging people to participate in free software communities that won’t
commit to doing better at that extremely low bar.

Deb

7 Likes

Right, and the ones who dared express their disagreement were cornered by those thankful people, not encouraging any more of them to share their feelings on the topic publicly. So who knows how many of them there is out there? I can also say that some of them thanked me in private for my stand against the statement, but again that doesn’t help showing that this position was far from unanimous.

Right now I don’t feel very included, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t alienate, threaten or exclude anyone. I didn’t take side of anyone doing such things either.

And what can we say about the use of a threat against the FSF when supposedly we stand against threatening individuals?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Sadly I don’t think so :pensive:

It could look only that, but if you’re inside mailing lists where you need to daily or weekly deal or read what he writes, it’s very clear what’s his opinion. And they’re not healthy. He may be the creator of GNU (and many other things), but this doesn’t allow him to play as “God” (Judger of Ethic and Moral).

It’s been a common thing that Stallman writes a lot of unnecessary things, and it’s also a common thing to people usually ignore him, but what happened in September was like @nmcgovern said, the last sparkle to ignite the fire. The whole thing was super disrespectful, and even the MIT had to remove him from his position as Guest Researcher.