Feature request: permanent default "visible columns"

In Files (Nautilus) preferences, there are “Icon view captions” but there is not the equivalent for the visible columns of the list view. There should be similar options for the columns to be displayed by default in the list view, to avoid choosing the “Visible columns” again and again, at each session and for each folder.

For now you can use donf-editor to configure the org.gnome.nautilus.list-view.default-visible-columns option as a workaround. The user interface for this seems to be work-in-progress. See: Changing List Columns in Preferences doesn't take expected effect (#1703) · Issues · GNOME / Files · GitLab and Draft: Revamp Column Chooser (!1084) · Merge requests · GNOME / Files · GitLab

1 Like

I just installed GNOME 44.beta in a VM and changing visible columns in Files applies to all folders with that. It is no longer remembered per folder.

That may also not be what some users want but to me this is much more user friendly. Changing the visible columns once to meet my needs, all folders then use that.

A thanks for the info. this was bothering me as well thats its not possible to set a default as i like to have Type as column so i can easily sort by this.
Great to see this fixed in the next version.

Thank you very much for this piece of information.

The best would be both: a default and the possibility to have a special configuration for some folders.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.