[Bug?] Strange size allocation warnings with GtkPopoverMenuBar

Hello,

I recently updated my installation of GTK4 (from the git sources, to version 4.5.1) and found that the app I am developing suddenly has warnings of the form:

(main:147097): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 03:47:57.632: gtk_widget_measure: assertion 'for_size >= -1' failed
(main:147097): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 03:47:57.635: gtk_widget_measure: assertion 'for_size >= minimum opposite size' failed: 170 >= 851

I have been trying to find and fix whatever mistake I have made to cause these messages, but I have found the process confusing and I am at a stage where I am very unsure as to why I am seeing certain behaviour. I did however find that the errors disappeared if the GtkPopoverMenuBar in the application was not rendered.

I have a minimal example to reproduce this behaviour:
This should just create a GtkApplicationWindow containing a button and a GtkPopoverMenuBar initialised from a GMenuModel created using a GtkBuilder from a GResource, and yet I am seeing errors.

main.c:

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <stdio.h>

static void activate(GApplication *app, gpointer user_data)
{
        GtkWidget *win = gtk_application_window_new(GTK_APPLICATION(app));
        gtk_window_set_default_size(GTK_WINDOW(win), 200, 200);

GtkWidget *btn = gtk_button_new_with_label("hello");
        gtk_window_set_child(GTK_WINDOW(win), btn);

GtkBuilder *builder = gtk_builder_new_from_resource("/menu.ui");
        GMenuModel *model = G_MENU_MODEL(gtk_builder_get_object(builder, "menubar"));
        gtk_application_set_menubar(GTK_APPLICATION(app), model);
        g_object_unref(builder);

gtk_application_window_set_show_menubar(GTK_APPLICATION_WINDOW(win), TRUE);

gtk_widget_show(win);
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        GtkApplication *app = gtk_application_new("com.test", G_APPLICATION_FLAGS_NONE);
        g_signal_connect(app, "activate", G_CALLBACK(activate), NULL);
        int status = g_application_run(G_APPLICATION(app), argc, argv);
        g_object_unref(app);
        return status;
}

program.gresource.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gresources>
  <gresource prefix="/">
    <file compressed="true" preprocess="xml-stripblanks" alias="menu.ui">menu.ui</file>
  </gresource>
</gresources>

menu.ui:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<interface>
  <requires lib="gtk" version="4.0"/>
  <menu id="menubar">
    <submenu>
      <attribute name="label" translatable="yes">_File</attribute>
      <section>
        <item>
          <attribute name="label" translatable="yes">_New</attribute>
        </item>
      </section>
    </submenu>
  </menu>
</interface>

I am compiling this with

$ glib-compile-resources --generate-source --target=resources.c program.gresource.xml
$ clang -o main main.c resources.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk4`

When I run this with ./main I see

(main:152320): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 04:07:28.229: gtk_widget_measure: assertion 'for_size >= -1' failed

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong? Or is this not the intended behaviour of GTK?

Many thanks in advance!

Neither, probably just a bug in GTK.

Ok…
It’d be great not to have these errors though if it’s not something I’ve done wrong.
Personally I would not know where to start trying to write a fix for GTK; is there anyone who I can talk to who would be able to fix this?

Hello again,

After a commit (de42b5bfae8d74d0de1f66f9095eef5969b4e8b1, see more at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/commit/de42b5bfae8d74d0de1f66f9095eef5969b4e8b1) one of the errors I was seeing has been removed (seemingly as a temporary fix though).

Specifically, I was seeing

(main:147097): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 03:47:57.632: gtk_widget_measure: assertion 'for_size >= -1' failed
(main:147097): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 03:47:57.635: gtk_widget_measure: assertion 'for_size >= minimum opposite size' failed: 170 >= 851

But I now only see

However this error is still confusing to me and actually is the only one I was seeing with my minimal example. The commit mentions that GtkGrids were causing the error which has now been removed; since I was using GtkGrids in my program I guess that’s why one error has disappeared.
But I am still seeing a strange error that seems to be caused by the GtkPopoverMenuBar and which I do not think should be present.

Hopefully someone can advise?

Thanks

Write a minimal reproducer and open a bug report on gitlab. If you can’t write a minimal reproducer, it’s likely caused by something else you do in your application.

The minimal example is in the first post…

I have now opened a bug report, so I suppose further conversation will be at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/4569.

Thanks for your time!

As was stated in the gitlab issue, the issue seems to have been fixed!

Thanks all for your time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.