Banshee on Ubuntu 20.04 or 20.10

Hi,
On the now defunct Banshee mailing list (banshee-list@gnome.org). Nicolas Krzywinski asked on 11 October 2020 if it would be possible to provide the Banshee 20.04 binaries.

If I remember correctly, I had to manually find and install missing dependencies to get Banshee working on Ubuntu 20.04: libgconf2.0-cil, libgconf2.0-cil-dev and libmono-corlib4.0-cil. I think I got the Banshee DEB package from the 19.10 repository. I just tested Banshee after upgrading from Ubuntu 20.04 to 20.10 and it still works.

I would be pleased to help by providing my installed binaries, or export all the necessary DEB packages. Do you still need them?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Following this topic Banshee on Ubuntu 20.04
(By the way, I don’t get why topics are automatically closed after only 14 days of inactivity. It doesn’t seem to facilitate knowledge building).

@Georgescu-Roegen, the working version I have on Ubuntu 20.04 probably comes from the Ubuntu 19.10 official PPA, before it was officially removed from the distribution with 20.04 (if I remember correctly). It is version “2.9.0+really2.6.2-7ubuntu3”. You could get it at https://pkgs.org/download/banshee. I think that I had to find a few missing dependencies on the Web manually, but luckily they were still compatible with Ubuntu 20.04. If you need help finding them, I can help you with that.

Besides, you said that Banshee crashes on opening. I already experienced two situations where that happened. First, when a remote folder is mounted, such as Google Drive (it was okay with Nextcloud). Some times over the years, the SQLite database (banshee.db) got corrupted. Some times, I had to delete smart playlists an playlists until it did not crash, and one time I started over with a fresh database and re-imported everything…

Personally, I moved to the Lollypop music player. I try to find time to re-implement features that I deeply miss from Banshee.

It avoids necroposting, as well as topic drifting.

You can always contact a moderator or an admin and ask for a topic to be re-opened.

Hi all!
Following this topic: Banshee on Ubuntu 20.04 or 20.10

I’ve tried as it says there but haven’t been able to run banshee, it installs but crashes right away.

Could someone help me with that? I think it is a problem of gstreamer versioning, since it looks for 0.10 version, but @chrisperro says he managed to make it work.

Thank you all!