[auto move windows] How can I automove a Chromium Profile?

Moved from [auto move windows] How can I automove a Chromium Profile? (#348) · Issues · GNOME / gnome-shell-extensions · GitLab. I am going to rubber duck this here:

===================================================

Hia, love this extension, priceless when using workspaces!!!

I can automove nearly everything except for Chromium browser profiles (actually Brave). I am wondering how to go about this. The logical thing that has to happen is that it has to appear in the “Applications” selector, so maybe I need to create a mock application? Maybe I need to create *.desktop entries for each browser profile, then it will show up?

From Florian Müllner:

The logical thing that has to happen is that it has to appear in the “Applications” selector, so maybe I need to create a mock application?

Yes, although “mock” doesn’t really cut it:

Maybe I need to create *.desktop entries for each browser profile, then it will show up?

Yes. You can place them in ~/.local/share/applications.

The trickier bit is that when gnome-shell encounters a Chromium window, it must be able to match it to the right .desktop file.

That is, having a rule for “Chromium Profile Foo” is useless if gnome-shell doesn’t detect that it’s running, and groups it under regular “Chromium” instead.

The Wiki https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/ApplicationBased has some useful information, albeit nothing specific about Chromium profiles (i.e. whether they are reflected in the WM_CLASS property or StartupWMClass).

In any case this is not an actionable issue but a support question (please use Discourse in the future), so closing.

New users can only post 2 links, so here is the code link to the wiki above - Projects/GnomeShell/ApplicationBased - GNOME Wiki!.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.