Account Offline message and Quote Level

Hello… I have three email accounts set up on Geary, one at one server and two at another. If one of those servers is offline Geary puts a big blue banner that says account offline with buttons to RETRY or get MORE INFO. That’s all fine, but it makes Geary unusable for the email server that is not offline. The upper control bar is covered by the offline banner so one cannot click to create a new message or send the message, etc.

Maybe there should be a button to dismiss the banner even though the account is offline.

I recently updated to a version of Geary with the bottom right button to choose Rich text or Plain text. I like plain text, but in that mode there is no way to control the quote level.

So I have to switch to rich text mode, then use the button to change quote level as desired, then I put it back in plain text mode. Since quote level does not depend on rich text mode the increase/decrease quote level buttons should always be visible in the bottom bar.

Finally, I had previously written about some crashes and Geary not quitting completely… I think some OS (gnome?) update fixed that, has been working fine lately on Fedora 32.

1 Like

Yes, the quote toolbar disappeared recently, but you can still use the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+] to quote and Ctrl+[ to unquote, see issue 806.

I think that what is online or offline is your computer and not the mail servers, so the distinction you’re making doesn’t make sense to me. Offline infobar should vanish as soon as the connection is working again, but two months ago someone reported that it’s a rare occurrence.

No, it’s not my computer that is offline. Geary must be probing the email server and noticing that it is offline. When one server (account) is offline you cannot use the other one that is working due to the OFFLINE bar across the top of the screen.

Thank you for reminding me I can use the quote level key commands.

Hmm. This ‘discourse’ does not seem to be promoting as much discussion as the old mailing list. Should I just open an issue on Gitlab for the problem when one email account is offline? Maybe an easy fix for it would be to have an ‘X’ in the corner of the offline banner which dismisses the banner for some period of time, or until next restart of Geary.

If you’ve got a reproducible bug (and it kinda sounds like you do) then yes, open a bug report

Hi Casey, if you’ve got an info bar showing up with the Retry/Details buttons, this is because Geary encountered a problem talking to your mail service, which could indicate a number of problems - a bug, a problem with the network or server and so on.

To work out what is going on, can you day what version of Geary you are running, your Linux distribution’s name and version , and what the error message is when you click on Details? Cheers!

Hello. Thanks for replying Zander and Michael.

I’ll start with my conclusion to save you time: This blue banner with Details/Retry is not what prompted me to mention this issue because it does not stop me from using the email account which is still online. In my apparently incorrect observation the blue bar was covering the controls on the top menu bar. So, I guess I imagined it or something… I can’t reproduce it now. Sorry!

I’m running 3.36.2-1.fc32 which as suggested by the name is Fedora 32’s packaged version.

I have an Apple email account and two accounts at my own email server configured. If I stop Dovecot on my email server I get the banner with Retry/Details which contains the following details (as expected):

Account identifier: redacted

Account provider: GEARY_SERVICE_PROVIDER_OTHER
Service type: GEARY_PROTOCOL_IMAP
Service host: myemailserver
Error type: GIOError 39
Message: Could not connect to myemailserver: Connection refused

Back trace:

• geary_problem_report_construct
  • geary_account_problem_report_construct
  • geary_service_problem_report_construct
  • application_main_window_update_account_status
  • application_account_context_get_tls_validation_failed
  • g_closure_invoke
  • g_signal_handler_disconnect
  • g_signal_emit_valist
  • g_signal_emit
  • g_cclosure_marshal_BOOLEAN__BOXED_BOXEDv
  • g_object_notify_by_pspec
  • g_closure_invoke
  • g_signal_handler_disconnect
  • g_signal_emit_valist
  • g_signal_emit
  • g_cclosure_marshal_BOOLEAN__BOXED_BOXEDv
  • g_object_notify_by_pspec
  • geary_client_service_notify_connection_failed
  • geary_imap_account_session_folders_removed
  • g_subprocess_communicate_utf8
  • g_task_attach_source
  • geary_imap_account_session_folders_removed
  • g_task_attach_source
  • geary_imap_client_session_disconnect_async
  • g_task_attach_source
  • geary_imap_client_connection_starttls_async
  • g_task_attach_source
  • geary_endpoint_get_type
  • g_task_attach_source
  • g_socket_address_enumerator_next_finish
  • g_task_attach_source
  • g_proxy_address_get_uri
  • g_clear_list
  • g_main_context_dispatch
  • g_main_context_dispatch
  • g_main_context_iteration
  • g_application_run
  • _vala_main
  • __libc_start_main
  • _start

But that is actually not what I was complaining about because although a bit annoying to have that banner there, I can at least still use my Apple account in this state.

If I stop Postfix on my email server there is no immediate effect (I didn’t wait too long or try to send an email).

If I simulate my server being totally unreachable by putting a bogus IP address for my server in my router’s dns server, I get the same effect as stopping Dovecot.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.