A few humble suggestions

Hello GNOME’ers :slight_smile:

I have recently switched from KDE to GNOME and I enjoy the simplicity very much, however I do have a few suggestions if I may:

1. Please allow either an easy customization of the login screen of GDM or make it automatically apply your current desktop theme and wallpaper (similar to how lock-screen applies your wallpaper automatically)

2. The password reveal button (the eye thingy) should be optional and adjustable in the Privacy settings. I don’t want to ever reveal my password and I view it as a potential security issue.

3. Dynamic setting menus would be very welcome. By dynamic I mean this - if the system cannot detect any fingerprint scanners or Bluetooth or Thunderbolt for example - hide those menus dynamically or have an option to hide them manually somehow. Having a completely empty Bluetooth menu option is jarring and a waste of space.

Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Login screen and Lock screen are 2 different things.

Login screen is in gdm control and is global configuration ( settings modifiable by root user ), while lock-screen is in gnome-shell control and is per user. That’s the reason you see lock-screen has the signature of the user’s desktop, while login screen is not.

If you’re asking custom theme for your login screen look into gdm configuration.

Already tracked in Option to disable "reveal password" in password field (#3138) · Issues · GNOME / gnome-shell · GitLab

I don’t think this is a good idea. People would argue that the bluetooth menu has disappeared from their system all of a sudden, and would raise question as to why bluetooth is not supported in GNOME. :slight_smile:

E.g. If a folder in your system is empty. Would you like you file manager to auto-hide folders which are empty -or- display empty folders. Same expectation goes here too.

Thanks!

I am totally agree with this one.
In fact another possible scenario where the presence of this button is probably needed, could be if and only if the user types its password to many times wrong.
I am just saying…

They should not be hidden. I agree. But they should be set insensitive. This is as per GNOME HIG for Buttons (Section General Guidelines and Point number 5).

Or may be, set insensitive and show a help text why it is insensitive.

Show a help text where?

That would only work for single-user systems, and would require quite a bit of plumbing (as the login screen is run under a system account) for something that isn’t officially supported or endorsed (themeing).

That said, using users’ wallpapers is planned for the login screen; after selecting a user, the screen to enter the password should then look exactly like the lock screen.

Do you mean the system menu in the top-right of the top bar? That menus is supposed to behave as described, that is no bluetooth/thunderbolt etc. if the corresponding hardware isn’t available.

Or is this about the sidebar items in Settings?

1 Like

Just having a strange behavior in settings sidebar menu, that is relevant here.

I don’t have any graphics tablets, so this is normal:

But when I search for ‘Wacom’ and select the search result, it appears in the sidebar.

Selecting another entry in the sidebar makes the ‘Wacom Tablet’ item in sidebar disappear again.

Hope this is a bug.

Thanks

No, it’s not. It allows gnome-control-center to show that it supports Wacom tablets, but they are not available at the moment.

This is what I’m proposing to do with Bluetooth, Thunderbolt and maybe even Printers. Show the user that there’s an option to connect to those services, but if they are not used - hide them

That was weird.

Do we have any precedent in any software for this pattern ?

Why would you need a precedent? We don’t have many components or applications that expose functionality depending on availability of some (optional) subsystem.

But why? Why does it matter to you that the system settings shows additional rows? What is the problem you are trying to solve? You are making some step or assumption, and we don’t really have access to enough context. Start with the problem you wish to solve, instead of working backwards from the to which you came.

There’s no Thunderbolt entry if you don’t have Thunderbolt hardware; the Printer page has a button that lets you add a printer; and the Bluetooth page lets you toggle the hardware switch, which completely hides any Bluetooth adapter from the system (so, in some cases, we literally can’t know if there’s a Bluetooth adapter available, or if there’s one that has been switched off).

Never mind, I thought the OP was talking about buttons in menu of GNOME Shell :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.